This is my final entry for The Speckled Palate’s Christmas Cookie Week! I’m kinda sad I couldn’t post more cookie recipes in conjunction to this week. I had so many ideas and so many things to share but alas, time is not on my side lately. Nonetheless, I’m very grateful to be able to share 3 cookies I personally love. If you haven’t yet seen them, I posted a Green Pea Cookie recipe and a Malaysian Almond Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe earlier this week.
For more great recipes, hop over to Erin’s beautiful blog for an even longer list. Also, she’ll be doing a round up tomorrow so stay tuned!
Now for an intro to this recipe, this is basically a sort of butter cookie/shortbread mash up rolled in crushed cornflakes. I believe this would work with any type of cereal but if you are going to take the cornflakes route, use Kellogg’s. Please. It’s thinner, crunchier & won’t scratch out roof of your mouth. Always a plus.
This recipe calls for flour, corn starch, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cornflakes & a variety of sprinkles/toppings. My sprinkles of choice were green glacé cherries, multi-coloured flower sprinkles & strawberry flakes that I found at the baking supplies store. You can use anything you like or none at all!
What’s your favourite cereal-based dessert? I would love to try making some. You know, masquerading as healthy and such.
Again, today is the final day of The Speckled Palate’s Christmas Cookie Week. Be sure to go over and have a look around! (idea stealing encouraged).
Have a lovely weekend, you sweet people.
“Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice: and let men say among the nations, The LORD reigneth. (1 Chronicles 16:31)
- ⅞ cup (200 g) Butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 g) Castor Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 2 large Eggs
- 2¾ cups (300 g) Flour
- 3 tbsp (30 g) Corn Starch
- 2 cups Cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- Strawberry Flakes (optional) – decoration
- Sprinkles (optional) – decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F or 170C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & set aside.
- Cream butter & sugar until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, orange zest & eggs. Beat until just combined.
- Fold in flours. The dough should not stick to your hands when you touch it. If it does, stick the bowl into the fridge for a few minutes to firm up.
- Spoon out 1½ tsp of dough per cookie and roll into balls.
- Roll into a little bit of sprinkles or flavoured flakes before rolling into the crushed cornflakes.
- Arrange onto baking sheet & bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container.