Have you ever made so much brownies you didn’t know what to do with them? I haven’t either. But this was my first big batch of brownies that came out of my new oven (thankyouverymuch!) and boy, I do mean big batch! I always used to bake in an 8x8in pan because my previous oven was smaller. Treading on the 9×13 in territory scares me a lot, especially now that I can actually fit one into my oven!
BUT this batch of brownies were perfect! And I do mean really really good. I’ve made tons of brownies before but never have I encountered brownies this gorgeous, with the most shiny crust and perfect fudgy, dense yet light texture. You follow me? Nevermind, make this then tell me whether you can resist 30 pieces of these brownies.
You will need:
Heat the butter in the microwave in on HIGH for 20 seconds each time until fully melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla extract.
Beat in one egg at a time.
This is the one occasion I highly recommend sifting. Cocoa powder and baking soda tends to get lumpy, for me at least, and if I don’t sift it in, the mixture would be totally grody. Noone likes grody brownies.
Loving my spouted Pyrex bowl. 😀
In goes the flour! And mix mix mix. Pour it in a 9×13 in greased pan and bake! I had a picture of my batter in the pan but the picture file got corrupted. 🙁 Anyhoo, you get the idea. When the batter is poured in, make an indentation in the centre just so the baked brownies will rise evenly, instead of the centre rising high and cracking. Not that it won’t taste fabulous though.
See how shiny and crackly the top gets? Now look at the soft, dense insides.
Aren’t they gorgeous? I brought half to my assembly’s lunch, gave roughly 1/3 of the remainder to my neighbour, served up about 6 pieces to my two visiting friends (I miss them so much!) and froze the remaining 6 pieces. I probably sneaked one or two pieces into my mouth. Probably.
Celebrate Monday with brownies! 🙂
“Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.” (Ephesians 6:24)
(adapted lightly from FindingBalanceBlog *now defunct*)
makes 48 squares
1 cup (2 sticks) regular salted Butter, melted
2 1/2 cups white Sugar
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
4 large Eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
1 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350F or 175C).
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- Melt butter in the microwave on HIGH, stopping every 20 seconds until melted.
- Combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl and mix together.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Sift the cocoa powder and baking soda in.
- Toss the chocolate chips in 2 tbsp of flour you measured out in a separate bowl.
- Add flour into batter and mix until just combined.
- Fold chocolate chips into the mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, slightly mounding on the sides so it will all bake evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Chomp chomp!