I tried to get every ingredient into the name but have to leave some out. 🙁 It was going to be Napa Cabbage Miso Tomato Sea Asparagus Ginger Pork Stew. Even then, I had to skip over a few other ingredients. But I’ll save you the trouble.
You can call this the NCMPS. Or Cabbage Pork Stew. Or Pork Stew. Or Stew.
Suffice to say, this is a very earthy, rich stew that will see you through any cold rainy day… which was what inspired me to make this. I love dishes that warm us inside out especially on a gray gray day.
I pretty much dug out my fridge and found these: Napa Cabbage, Pork Chops, Tomatoes, Ginger, Garlic, Shallots, Sea Asparagus, Miso Paste, Oyster Sauce, Soy Sauce, Mirin, Chinese 5 Spice & Black Pepper.
Mind you, the cabbage releases a lot of liquid. I love the sweetness that napa cabbages give. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, the sea asparagus is scattered in. Because this was from a can, it didn’t need to much cooking. Anyway, overcooking, like all seafood, makes them leathery and dry. Also, a spoonful of miso paste is stirred in at the last minute possible.
This is a simple stew that is tangy, sweet, earthy with a good dose of umami. 🙂
PS: One more day to 2013! <3
“My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass: Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.” (Deuteronomy 32:2-3)
Napa Cabbage Miso Pork Stew
200gms Pork Chop, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 head of Napa Cabbage (1/2 head if it is small), cut into 2 inch pieces
6 Shallots, peeled
4 cloves Garlic, peeled
1 inch knob Ginger, peeled & sliced
1 can Sea Asparagus (or mushroom of choice)
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Mirin
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 Spice Powder
1/4 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
1 tbsp Miso Paste
1 cup Water
- Marinade pork pieces with oyster sauce, soy sauce, mirin & Chinese 5 spice powder. Set aside for 20 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients and heat up the skillet.
- In a deep skillet, brown pork pieces well on HIGH heat, about 2 minutes per side.
- Add shallots, garlic & ginger and fry for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until pork is tender and sauce is almost all evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- Tomatoes and cabbage go in (stem parts first) and let them soften and wilt.
- Toss in sea asparagus and miso paste. Make sure miso paste dissolves in the liquids.
- Adjust seasoning and serve it up with a big ole bowl of rice.