Our good friend, Sebastian, has been having tuna pasta for lunch forever. I’m not sure why I haven’t even tried it yet. After this little trial, I finally know why he could have tuna with pasta at least 3 times a week for lunch without so much as a complaint. I would have it as often had I known how easy and delicious it is.
The cast of ingredients:
Cavatappi Pasta, Tuna packed in Olive Oil, Garlic, Cherry Tomatoes, Parmesan Cheese, Fresh Basil & Pine Nuts
Great lunch for us two.
I bought another two cans of tuna. And forgot any tomatoes or basil this time around. We’ll see what I come up with in the near future!
“Only fear the LORD, and serve Him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things He hath done for you.” (1 Samuel 12:24)
Tuna Pasta in Fresh Tomato Sauce
200gms (appx 1/2 lbs) Cavatappi Pasta (or your pasta of choice)
1 can (185 gms or 6.5 oz) Tuna packed in Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
20 Cherry Tomatoes (about 2 cups), halved
1/4 cup reserved pasta-cooking Water*
1 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup fresh Basil
3 tbsp Pine Nuts
- Boil pasta in salted water.
- Meanwhile, skim off some olive oil from tuna can and use it to sauté garlic until edges are lightly browned.
- Add in tomatoes. Cook on MEDIUM HIGH until tomatoes are soft and breaking down slightly, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in tuna with juices and oil. Break big pieces apart but leave it slightly chunky.
- Stir in pasta-cooking water, grated Parmesan and fresh Basil.
- Add in cooked and well-drained pasta and stir well.
- Plate up with a sprinkling of pine nuts over top and some grated Parmesan.
- Enjoy the incredible flavours!
*Always reserve about 1/2 cup of water used to boil the pasta in in case your sauce needs thinning. Pasta-cooking water contains salt and starch from the pasta, helping the sauce to stick to the pasta up while loosening overly thick sauce without diluting the flavours.