What do you call them, zucchini or courgette? I love how classy courgette sounds but I first came across these as zucchini and I can’t seem to change.
Anyway, that aside… I have used zucchinis before here. But I tell you, grilled zucchini is probably one of the best ways to enjoy them. I think I am in love. Again. Sometimes the simplest ways of preparation can be the best!
I wanted to take the Mediterranean route as I had leftover feta and some sundried tomato pesto hanging about in my fridge. This made a very simple appetizer and also enough leftovers for me to have with some quinoa for lunch the next day. Ain’t that perfect?
The best part is it takes only 3 ingredients to make this. Zucchini, Marinated Feta with the Oil & Sundried Tomato Pesto. You can totally use anything in place of the pesto. Regular basil pesto, tahini, sambal, soy syrup.. basically any paste that has some personality since most of the flavouring comes from that sauce.
I cut the pretty yellow zucchini onto 1/2 inch slices. I didn’t want them so thin that they would breakdown after grilling. Neither did I want them so thick that it would be difficult to roll up. As you can see, I left some as rounds and some in strips. Wanted some variety. 😉
With grilling, I always rub oil onto the ingredient, instead of the pan. Don’t want the whole kitchen to smoke up. I just used the oil from my marinated feta. You can pretty much use any oils you like here. Coconut oil would be interesting. Chilli oil would be amazing.
The round ones I left as is, canape style. Long slices were rolled up, hence the title “Feta Stuffed Zucchini Rolls“.
This was so simple and surprisingly packs a load of flavour! The pesto was a little tangy while the feta is salty and creamy. Added with the zucchini’s natural sweetness, this was just heavenly. And done in under 15 minutes with some inactive time for you to meddle around with other things.
I’m probably going to start grilling vegetables much more often. I should, right?
“I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the LORD, and the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which He hath bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of His lovingkindnesses.” (Isaiah 63:7)
Feta Stuffed Zucchini Rolls
serves 2 as main; 3-4 as appetizer/side
2-3 tbsp Sundried Tomato Pesto
2 oz marinated Feta in Herbed Oil (or more)
- Determine if you want rolls or canape-style zucchini servings. If rolls, slice zucchini diagonally to create 1/2 inch long strips. If you prefer to serve as rounds, just cut 1/2 inch circles.
- Heat up grill pan. Meanwhile, rub herbed oil from marinated feta (or olive oil) all over zucchini slices.
- Grill zucchini pieces on very high heat for about 1 minute per side, or until grill marks are to your liking. Remove to a plate.
- For rolls, spread about 1/4 tsp pesto on grilled zucchini strips. Crumble on some feta, about 1 small cube per roll and roll up with seam side down. For rounds, just spread less than 1/4 tsp pesto on and place a small cube of feta on top.
- Very convenient appetizer to go with pasta or grains and a steak. 😉