Oh chocolate chip cookies. I have a difficult relationship with you.
So so many people love you soft and chewy. And I admit, you’re pretty decent in that state. But my every encounter with chocolate chip cookies have been from packages. Amongst which are brands that rhyme with ShipsNore and TamousCamos. I think you know which ones I’m refering to 😉 These brands sell cookies in a somewhat crispy form. Or at least, their cookies do not fall in the chewy category.
I kinda prefer cookies that way. Soft cookies to me just seem too close to cake and I’d rather have cake. So in the very very rare occasions I’ve made cookies, I always look out for recipes that promise crispiness or crunch… only to be sorely disappointed when they end up soft and chewy. Ah, so devastating to have 40 soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies on my counter. haha… No worries though. Someone is always around to take them out of my hands.
And when I encountered yet another recipe that promised a crisp texture, I was doubtful. So I’m still not quite sure what induced me to try out that particular one. Tried I did and true to it’s title, the cookies were little pieces of crispy, crunchy delights!
Being such a simple and easy recipe, it only required several basic ingredients.
Ok, here comes the part on lavender. Because this dough makes sooooo many cookies, I decided to experiment. We had a bag of dried lavender meant for tea sitting in the cabinet for ages. I figured since there would be too many cookies, I ground up 1 tbsp of the dried flowers in a pestle and mortar to mix it into about 1/3 of the dough.
Unlike my chewy lemon cookies, I had a couple handfuls of these. And I would live to regret that lapse of judgement.
Please please please make this if you can. Unless you are like me. And cause 5 cookies to magically disappear within 10 seconds after they come out of the oven.
“The rich and poor meet together: the LORD is the maker of them all.” (Proverbs 22:2)
Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipe lightly adapted from The Kitchen Magpie
(makes appx 100 bite-size or 70 larger ones)
1 cup regular salted Butter, room temperature
1¼ cup White Granulated Sugar
1½ tsp Vanilla
2 cups Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 F or 180 C. Lightly grease and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream butter & sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg & vanilla, mixing thoroughly.
- Beat in the flour & baking soda.
- Fold in the two cups of chocolate chips by hand.
- Roll a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough into a ball, 12 per cookie sheet (for large cookies). Half the size for bite size cookies.
- Take a glass and using the bottom, flatten out each cookie. If the cookie sticks, wet the bottom of the glass with water, they will come right off.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on the sheets completely.
- Enjoy these crunchy chocolatey bits with a tall glass of cold milk.