Here’s one dessert that never made it to the intended location. I contemplated on whether to post this or not but then, why not? I spent time making it and I took a few large bites from it so I guess that qualifies this little bowl of loveliness a place on TT. Yes? Yes.
PS: Has that happened to you before? I mean making something to bring somewhere then in the end, it just never got there?
This one is the stuff that cake clouds are made of. I left it in the fridge to cool down and set up and when I opened my fridge again afterwards, the whole fridge just smelled amazing!
It’s similar to the one I made some months ago in that I didn’t use custard or jelly but instead replaced the jelly for syrup and just totally swapped the custard out. Now people, those calories aren’t necessary. Not when you have syrup soaked cake covered with whipped cream in front of you. Tee hee!
Vanilla Butter Cake, Mandarin Oranges, Strawberry Jam, Canned Peaches, Cream Cheese, Whipping Cream & Passion Fruit.
I know you see 2 cartons of cream & a can of fruit cocktail… but can I tell you something? I only used 1 carton of cream & omitted the fruit cocktail. You can totally use it if you have one of those really deep trifle bowls. My bowl was overflowing so I just left it out. Besides, there is already a ton of fruit in this.
The longer this sat in the fridge, the better it became. Lovely marriage of fruity flavours. Taste of summer!
Let this burst of sunshine cheer your Monday up 🙂
(sorry, I know that sounded cheesy)
(excuse the pun)
“Observe and hear all these words which I command thee, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee for ever, when thou doest that which is good and right in the sight of the LORD thy God.” (Deuteronomy 12:28)
Mandarin, Peach & Passionfruit Trifle
1 loaf Vanilla Butter Cake (storebought or homemade), sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
4 oz or 1/2 cup Cream Cheese, room temperature
7 oz or 200 ml Heavy Cream, very cold
4-5 tbsp Strawberry Jam
1 (1 lb 13 oz or 825 gm) can Peaches in Syrup, drained & sliced
2 Mandarin Oranges
1 ripe Passion Fruit
- Nuke the strawberry jam in a microwaveable bowl for about 10 seconds or until it has melted and thinned down. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Pour in cold heavy cream and continue to whip, scraping down the sides every now and then, until you get soft peaks. Set aside.
- In your serving bowl, arrange a layer of the cake. You can make the layer as thick or thin as you prefer.
- Half the mandarins and squeeze the juice over the cake. Use a sieve if you need to as mandarins contain lots of seeds.
- Drizzle jam around the perimeter of the bowl for colour and flavour contrast.
- Arrange a layer of sliced peaches over the cake.
- Dollop on the cream cheese mixture to cover the peaches.
- Arrange more peaches on the cream and spoon over pulp of the passion fruit.
- Cover and leave to set in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, preferable overnight.
- To serve, spoon out individual portions into small bowls.