Let me come clean to y’all.
I love canned tuned. And canned sardines. And canned mackerel. I know, right? Not exactly the most classy of pantry items to love but I really like them so so much!
They are convenient and just so yummy in the most interesting ways. Flavour bomb with just the opening of a can. Sometimes, that’s just what I need when I’ve woken up too late to make an elaborate lunch… and when leftovers are all gone.
We all know that pasta with whatever junk mixed in would still taste pretty good. I know anyway. 😉
It so happened that I had 1/2 a can of tuna sitting in the fridge one morning when I was scratching my head on what to prepare for lunch. 1/2 a can is not enough for 2 portions, I thought. Rummaging through the drawer where I keep my canned goods, I chanced upon a can of mackerel that has been there for.. ever? So I mashed those 2 together and hoped for the best.
“Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father.” (Galatians 1:3-4)
- 150gms (5oz) spaghetti
- 230gm (8oz) canned mackerel in tomato sauce
- ½ can (2 oz) tuna in chilli olive oil
- 2 sprigs oregano, leaves stripped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- Bring a pot of well salted water to boil and cook spaghetti until al dente.
- In a pan, saute the minced garlic over MED heat in 1 tbsp oil from the tuna can.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let them soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in mackerel, tuna and all the tomato sauce. Break the fish pieces with your ladle. (I kept mine fairly chunky.)
- Once the sauce comes to a bubble, toss in the pasta until well combined.
- Serve immediately.