With National Day coming up, I got inspired and came up with a few desserts that uses the colours of the Malaysian flag. 🙂 I have to admit, not every single one of them contains all the colours. But I try to incorporated at least 3 of the 4 colours.
Beginning with this jelly. How did I first think of something like this? I was on my Instagram during the week leading up to the 4th of July. People were making all sorts of beautiful dishes and desserts in the colours of the American flag. Some were super creative. I knew I wanted to do something similar tomorrow as the 31st of August approaches. I made this particular desserts during the 4th of July week but definitely with Malaysia in mind. 🙂
It’s not often that I see fresh lychees available for sale so to put that floral sweetness to good use, I knew I wanted it to be one of the main fruit flavours in this jelly.
I placed the pan into the freezer for 5 minutes to let it set. Meanwhile, separate the remaining solution into 2 bowls. Strain the blue pea flower infusion into one of that bowls. I let that boil for a moment to reduce it slightly just to make sure that jelly solution is not overly diluted.
Jellies are so lovely. I can never resist it when it’s served.
What’s your favourite jelly flavour? I’m gonna make a Milo flavour next.
“Therefore I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me.” (Micah 7:7)
- 1 package Premix Jelly Powder (I used Jele-A)
- 7-8 Strawberries, hulled & chopped
- 7-8 fresh Lychees, peeled, seeded & shredded
- 1½ tbsp Blue Pea Flowers
- 5 tbsp warm Water
- Steep blue pea flowers in the warm water while you prepare the jelly solution.
- Prepare the jelly mix following the package instructions.
- Separate jelly solution into 3 portions, keeping 1 portion in the pot you used to make that solution.
- Pour 1 portion of clear jelly into an 8x8 pan.
- Scatter shredded lychee pieces into the solution. Place in the freezer to set, for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the blue pea flower solution into the ⅓ portion in the pot. Bring it to a boil for 1 minute just to make sure the solution is not diluted by the coloured solution.
- Pour the blue jelly solution over the set first layer. Scatter in chopped strawberry pieces. Let that set in the freezer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour over the remaining clear jelly solution.
- Let it all set up in the fridge. Cut into squares and serve!