So after a well of desserts, I figured we should celebrate September with something warm, comforting and downright homey. Autumn is come in some places around the world, right? So this is like a transition kind of dish, I’d like to think.
I’m sometimes the kind of person who takes stuff out of the freezer in the morning, or just have a look through in the crisper to see what I have. Then just about 5 minutes before leaving the office for home, I’d frantically Google to see what I can do with what I have. This doesn’t happen every day. But it happens. Because who wants to have soy chicken every single day? Or omelette? We need variety. Variety = spice of life.
And so I remember having a whole head of cauliflower, brinjal and some basil in the fridge. What can I do with them? Sooo many things. And then I scouted around for veggie stews. Something caught my eye. Ratatouille!
But wait… They usually contain squashes and bell pepper. I had none of those. Well, I can make this work. I know I can. it’s basically a bunch of veggies simmered in a tomato based broth, right?
So I gathered my cast of ingredients and experimented.
I served this up over some buttered noodles and bratwurst.
Just the perfectest combo.
I think this is just great for this end of summer beginning of fall dish. Just a little more grilling and lots of warmth.
It’s begun raining lots over here too so it feels like cooler days are coming upon us.
On another note, I’ve been super busy at work and at home with very little time to keep this place updated. I’ll do my best but my posts would be more sporadic from now on. I know. I’m sad I can’t get more minutes out of the day to focus on this hobby but hopefully as I get into routine at work, I can find more time to get up on here. <3
“But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. ” (James 3:17)
- 2 oval Brinjals, cut into ½ inch discs
- 1 head Cauliflower, cut into smaller florets
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, peel & mince
- 3 stalks Celery, roughly chop
- 1 Onion, peel & roughly chop
- 1 Carrot, peel & roughly chop
- 3 large Swiss Mushrooms, quarter
- 1½ tbsp Anchovy Paste (I went heavy on this. Reduce to preference)
- 1 can Tomato Puree/Sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Fresh Basil
- handful Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Heat up grill or grill pan and char brinjal and cauliflower in several batches to get some grill marks, not to cook it. This takes about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove grilled vegetables & set aside.
- In a stew pot, heat up olive oil on MED. Saute garlic, celery, carrot & onions with a pinch of salt.
- Add in anchovy paste and stir around until mixed.
- Toss in mushrooms, grilled vegetables, tomato sauce & water. Bring to a boil & reduce to a simmer. Leave it to bubble for 20 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the heat and stir in basil leaves & cherry tomatoes.
- Serve with rice or noodles.