My voice is coming back. I thank God for that. It’s been odd not being able to communicate as I normally do. We have so much to be grateful for, don’t we? Sometimes it takes a little inconvenience like the lost of voice to make us realize just how important little things are. Praise the Lord for His goodness.
Anyway, back to things that make the world a little more beautiful (and bearable). Have you ever had savoury muffins? Ok, these are not exactly full on savoury. It just doesn’t contain any bit of sweetener and are soooo good as is! Even better with a small pat of butter and a drizzle of honey.
I actually found this recipe in a small recipe book called Cupcakes and Muffins by Parragon Books. The annoying part is that the authors are not specified so I cannot stalk them. But there have been pretty great recipes I’ve tried from their Love Food series.
What intrigued me most about this recipe was the fact that it used rather healthy ingredients like olive oil, avocado, lemon and NO sugar. Plus the knowledge that my avocado is slowly degenerating in the fridge because I was trying to save it for a good occasion that never came. Never save something for a better time if it’s perishable!
I, of course, went the sweet route. But I can totally see these being great accompaniments to a hearty creamy soup. Minestrone even! Plus, they freeze so well. That very first picture on top was taken a couple weeks after I made these. I froze a couple and they thawed beautifully. Just the kind of pick-me-up we need in the morning.
“And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of His words fall to the ground.” (1 Samuel 3:19)
- 2 medium Hass Avocado, peeled
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 350g (12 oz) Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 lightly beaten Eggs
- 225ml (8 oz) Milk
- 4 tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp regular Butter, melted
- 1½ tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Grease 12 muffin tins & set aside.
- In a bowl with the lemon juice, lightly mash the avocado. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder (and a pinch of salt if you use unsalted butter).
- In another bowl, mix together all the remaining ingredients. Add flour mixture in and stir until just combined.
- Fold in mashed avocado.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins. Bake for 20 mins or until muffins springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from tin & cool on a rack.
- Store in airtight container for 2 days or freeze for 3 months.
- Serve as is or with jam, honey or cheese. Or whatever you like. It's good either way.