Whenever we visit some place, be it local or overseas, I’m always tempted to bring home fresh produce or food stuff that I cannot get back here. Or maybe I can get back here but it won’t be as good. In our recent trip to Melbourne, I bought some. Amongst some of those were strawberries.
Yes, we can get some pretty looking strawberries over here in Malaysia but I’ve seriously never come across any sweet ones. Never once in my life. The packaging can say they come from California, Australia, UK, Cameron Highlands… anywhere. But they were never once sweet.
Now these ones I got from Australia weren’t all that sweet. But trust me when I say they tasted like actual strawberries. They tasted like strawberries! Who knew strawberries had flavour? Ha! A couple were nice and juicy and sweet but I couldn’t finish everything in one sitting. And they were threatening to die on me because I bought them a couple of days before coming home. (bad mistake but there wasn’t enough time)
Since I was dying to use up my avocado, I decided to toss everything into a bowl. What was supposed to be guacamole turned into a salad. Not that I had any complaints though. 🙂 I prefer my avocados in chunks rather than mashed anyway. Or sliced in sandwiches.
Because halved avocados always make my heart flutter. These are South African ones. Really nice and creamy consistency.
Also, it’s a good idea to remove the watery centre of them tomatoes so that the salad doesn’t become watery if it sits for a while.
Unless having 4 servings of that salad in one sitting is unhealthy? Hardly.
- 1 Avocado, pitted & cubed
- 4 large Strawberries, hulled & cubed
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 small Red Onion, finely chopped
- ½ small clove Garlic, finely grated
- ½ cup chopped Coriander (less if preferred)
- juice of ½ small Lemon (appx 2-3 tbsp)
- Salt & Pepper
- Stir avocado cubes with lemon juice in a large salad bowl to prevent decoloration.
- Prepare tomato by halving & discarding wet centre. Cube up the flesh and place in the bowl.
- Toss everything else into the bowl and stir well.
- Taste for seasoning & serve!