You guys know how obsessed I am with Brussels sprouts, right? I’ve made it twice here. Once with bacon and another with Italian sausage & orecchiette. Seems like I cannot get enough. I don’t think I ever will!
This recipe is another result of my Australian food haul. Which I said I’d write about but it seems like I’ll come in successions of recipes like this seeing as I pretty much ate 1/2 of everything already before realizing I didn’t get a proper pic of everything. Haha! That’s Jayne, you guys.
If you spy that pack of chorizo on top of the packs of Caramel Bits, then you my friend, are sharp. Because that’s exactly our feature ingredient today. Yes, yes… Brussels sprouts are my love. And chorizo makes them infinitely better!
We only need Brussels Sprouts, Chorizo, Black Olives, Garlic & an Orange. I used a mandarin orange because that’s what I had on hand. It’s flavour isn’t very pronounced so we couldn’t really taste the citrusy flavours in the end. Use a stronger citrus if you want it to really come through. I would if I were you. Ahem.
I prefer to remove the pan from the heat and take my time to arrange the sprouts cut side down. I feel like they cook more evenly that way. The orange juice offers a nice glaze as well as helps the core of each half to steam a little.
I still have another whole chorizo and a half to play with. It’s so yummy!
What else can I use it in? Do share.
- 8 oz (250 gm) Brussels Sprouts, halved
- ½ (appx 50-60gm or 2-3 oz) dry smoked Chorizo sausage, cubed
- 3 cloves Garlic, sliced thinly
- 10 Black Pitted Olives
- 1 Orange, juiced
- In a dry pan with 2-3 drops of vegetable oil, brown & render the chorizo cubes over MED heat for about 2-3 minutes. Drain browned sausage & set aside, retaining oil in the pan.
- Remove pan from the heat and arrange Brussels sprouts cut side down. Place over heat and pour in orange juice.
- Cover for 1 minute then leave to sizzle uncovered for another minute until sprouts are crisp tender.
- Toss in garlic slices and stir around for ½ a minute.
- Scatter in reserved chorizo and black olives. Stir around until evenly mixed up for another minute.
- Dish up and serve immediately.