I’ve been having trouble with baking fresh fruits into cakes. Well, the only one that worked was the lemon blueberry buttermilk one. Nothing else. I’m not sure why but they always end up mushy and wet. The liquid ratio always seems out and it all turns into a bad bad mess.
But I like to
torture challenge myself so I tried yet another fresh fruit cake. Only this time, the recipe doesn’t require mixing fresh fruits straight into the batter. Thin apple slices are nicely arranged on top of 1 half of the batter before the remaining batter is poured over. You’ll see what I mean in a sec. The results was a super fluffy, super fragrant apple cake with rich moist crumbs. Oh, and there’s streusel on top.
I found the recipe at P.S. Heart, a really cute blog! They have way better pictures than I do so if you like pretty things, go check them out!
Let’s DO THIS!
For such a delicious cake, you don’t need many ingredients. Butter, brown sugar, white sugar, coarse sugar, walnuts, flour, baking powder, baking soda, Granny Smith apples, eggs, milk mixed with a little lemon juice & ground cinnamon.
Cut in cold cold cold butter into the sugar & cinnamon mixture. I went for brown sugar and coarse sugar for some caramelly flavour and crunch. You can stick with all brown or all white. I just wanted to be fancy. heheh.
And then mix in chopped walnuts into the streusel. I left this in the freezer until I needed them. It’s hot here peeps. It may be cold out where you are but here? Constant 30C. At least. Unless it rains then it might go down to about 26C but that’s very very rare. Anyway, enough weather talk.
I laid out my apples this way but if you want an alternative, check out P.S. Heart. <spoiler> Theirs is prettier </spoiler>
I love streusel on cake so so much! On any desserts in general, really, especially coffee cakes or warm-ish type flavours.
What do you streusel?
Also, if you like this streusel cake, have a look at 2 more other recipes I streuseled (yes, it’s a verb now.) (because I said so).
Pink Oat Bran Crumb Muffins (contains fresh dragon fruit & fresh mango!)
If you try these out, send me link! 🙂
Have a wonderful weekend.
“As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.” (Proverbs 25:25)
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1¾ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Butter, cold + ¾ cup Butter, softened
- ⅓ cup Demerara/Coarse Sugar
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup + 3 cups Flour
- 1¾ cup White Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla (I omitted because I used vanilla sugar)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 medium cooking Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I used Granny Smith)
- Preheat oven to 350F or 175 C. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, combine milk & lemon juice. Let stand while preparing apples & making cake batter.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine coarse sugar, brown sugar, ½ cup flour, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Cut in ¼ cup cold butter until coarse crumbs form. Store in freezer until needed.
- To begin with the cake batter, cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Beat flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk mixture in 2 additions, starting and ending with flour, until just combined.
- Spread about half the cake batter into a greased pan.
- Place apple slices close together in a single layer over the batter.
- Sprinkle with half of the streusel topping over the apples.
- Spread remaining batter over everything and sprinkle the remaining streusel topping on top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for about 20 mins & serve warm. Very good with a hot cup of coffee.