Let’s clean our slates and get back to the greens. More specifically, hubs’ favourite greens–> Ladies Fingers aka Okra. Well, one of his favourite greens anyway.
I find that when people dislike ladies fingers, it’s always because its slimy mucousy texture turns them off. Consequently, I made it my life’s purpose to figure out a way to deal with this problem. (no, not really).
I don’t know if I’ve cracked the code but I find that if I start out with a dry non-stick pan and just stir ladies fingers pieces with a good pinch of salt around for a bit to dry them out (and also cook them), the slime doesn’t come out so much or get really gooey.
I also feel like stirfried ladies fingers should be prepared in a simple fashion. Just a pinch of curry powder, a bit onions and some stirfrying. The longer they are cooked, the more they break down and get mushy. A bit of crunch is good.
If you’re slime-averse, I would recommend you to try it out this way. Though if you still don’t like it, I won’t hold it against you. Texture issues are harsh.
If you DO like ladies fingers and have no idea how to spruce it up, then a pinch of curry powder saves the day.
Do you like ladies fingers/okra?
“As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.” (1 Peter 4:10)
- 1 packet (appx 15) Lady's Fingers/Okra, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Red Onion, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Water
- Heat up a non-stick pan on MED HIGH.
- Toss in lady's finger & salt. Stir about every once in a while for about 5 minutes.
- Dish out and set aside.
- Pour in oil & stirfry onion until softened.
- Sprinkle in curry powder. Stir until curry becomes fragrant, about 15 secs.
- Add lady's finger and splash in water. Stir for 1 minute.
- Dish up & serve!