This is my final entry for The Speckled Palate’s Christmas Cookie Week! I’m kinda sad I couldn’t post more cookie recipes in conjunction to this week. I had so many ideas and so many things to share but alas, time is not on my side lately. Nonetheless, I’m very grateful to be able to share 3 cookies I personally love. If you haven’t yet seen them, I posted a Green Pea Cookie recipe and a Malaysian Almond Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe earlier this week.
For more great recipes, hop over to Erin’s beautiful blog for an even longer list. Also, she’ll be doing a round up tomorrow so stay tuned!
Now for an intro to this recipe, this is basically a sort of butter cookie/shortbread mash up rolled in crushed cornflakes. I believe this would work with any type of cereal but if you are going to take the cornflakes route, use Kellogg’s. Please. It’s thinner, crunchier & won’t scratch out roof of your mouth. Always a plus.
This recipe calls for flour, corn starch, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cornflakes & a variety of sprinkles/toppings. My sprinkles of choice were green glacé cherries, multi-coloured flower sprinkles & strawberry flakes that I found at the baking supplies store. You can use anything you like or none at all!
What’s your favourite cereal-based dessert? I would love to try making some. You know, masquerading as healthy and such. 😉
Again, today is the final day of The Speckled Palate’s Christmas Cookie Week. Be sure to go over and have a look around! (idea stealing encouraged).
Have a lovely weekend, you sweet people.
“Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice: and let men say among the nations, The LORD reigneth. (1 Chronicles 16:31)
- ⅞ cup (200 g) Butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 g) Castor Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 2 large Eggs
- 2¾ cups (300 g) Flour
- 3 tbsp (30 g) Corn Starch
- 2 cups Cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- Strawberry Flakes (optional) - decoration
- Sprinkles (optional) - decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F or 170C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & set aside.
- Cream butter & sugar until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, orange zest & eggs. Beat until just combined.
- Fold in flours. The dough should not stick to your hands when you touch it. If it does, stick the bowl into the fridge for a few minutes to firm up.
- Spoon out 1½ tsp of dough per cookie and roll into balls.
- Roll into a little bit of sprinkles or flavoured flakes before rolling into the crushed cornflakes.
- Arrange onto baking sheet & bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container.