I had every intention of posting this recipe right after I made them. I really did. Dates were on sale everywhere at that time and so it would have been the perfect time to write about this cake. But of course, I forgot and then 8 months down the road, I am trying to do justice to this amazingly rich coffee cake.
But I don’t think you’ll mind either, right?
With summer coming in nary a few months (well, for our American friends) and summer being just past for Australia, maybe something with a fresh pop of blueberries would be timely right now. I don’t know. We don’t have 4 seasons here. But blueberries are getting cheaper again and I know I’ll want to make some soon.
The original recipe comes from Mother Thyme and uses exclusively blueberries. I decided to make use of the delightfully sweet dates we have. Any fresh cut fruits, that aren’t overtly juicy, should do well in this recipe. Apples, pears, raisins, figs, plums, cranberries…. I can imagine a million other combinations of fruits to add into this. I’m currently thinking of using apples and sweet plums in the next batch. I promise I’ll share it on Instagram ;-).
For this rich crumbly cake, we would need Flour, Butter, Baking Powder, Mixed Spice (Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice), Vanilla, Milk, Eggs, White & Brown Sugar, Dates & Walnuts! Seems like regular enough ingredients for a baker.
I don’t think I can be trusted with a full pan of this around.
“My heart is full of Christ, and longs
Its glorious matter to declare!
Of Him I make my loftier song,
I cannot from His praise forbear;
My ready tongue makes haste to sing
The glories of my heavenly King.” — Charles Wesley (Collection of Psalms and Hymns, 1743)
- ¾ cups (1½ sticks) Butter, melted and cooled
- 2⅔ cups packed Light Brown Sugar (or 2 cups White Sugar)
- 3 large Eggs
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2⅔ cup Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup fresh Blueberries (stirred with 2 tbsp flour from above)
- 1 cup pitted & chopped Medjool Dates
- ¾ cup chopped Walnuts
- **1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- **1 cup all-purpose flour
- **2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan & set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the last 3 ingredients with ** (butter, flour & brown sugar) using a fork. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix butter & sugar. Whisk in eggs one at a time then stir in milk & vanilla.
- In another bowl whisk together flour & baking powder. Gradually stir in flour mixture in to wet ingredients until combined.
- Fold in blueberries, dates & walnuts.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan & sprinkle evenly with crumb topping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool totally then cut into squares.
Recipe adapted from: Mother Thyme