Desserts are some kind of amazing. There’s always something for every season and everyone. And if within the traditional varieties, you cannot find something you like, you can always take favourite bits of everything that you like and mash them together.
This is not the first time I’ve made trifles. You might remember my Mandarin, Peach & Passion Fruit Trifle and Strawberry Chocolate Trifle. They are not traditional trifles with a layer of jelly and custard because I don’t want to do the extra work. And I don’t need the extra sugar and calories.
Today’s trifle is along the same vein but I upped the ante a little by whipping cream cheese into whipping cream to mimic tiramisu’s mascarpone. I know this kinda contradicts the lesser calories statement above but well, this is was for a special farewell party so we are afforded that little bit of luxury, right?
I used some fairly easily found ingredients to make this. I’m pretty sure you can throw this together in a snap! The ingredients list include: store-bought Swiss roll, Oranges, Fresh Strawberries, Cream Cheese, Double Cream, Icing Sugar & Canned Soft Fruits (I used Peaches).
We need something cool and fruity in this hot weather. Why not try easy desserts like this?
If you prefer to try different flavours, you can try my 2 other previous recipes:
“Therefore I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me.” (Micah 7:7)
- 1 pack Store-Bought Swiss Roll (I used chocolate & vanilla flavour), cut into 1 inch slices
- zest & juice of 2-3 Oranges
- 1 punnet Strawberries, hulled & halved (save some fan sliced for decor)
- 1 cup (250 ml) Whipping Cream
- 12 oz (425 gm) Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Icing Sugar
- 1 can Peaches, cut into slices
- Line the base of your 8x8 glass dish with cake slices, trying to fit in remaining bits to cover the whole bottom.
- Arrange halved strawberries around the sides of the dish.
- Drizzle orange juice over the cake layer.
- In a large bowl, whip up the whipping cream.
- In a separate bowl, beat together cream cheese, orange zest & icing sugar.
- Fold cream into the cheese mixture.
- Spread the cream layer over the cake. Smooth it evenly.
- Arrange peaches over the top & decorate with leftover strawberries.